Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Hulk Baby

So since i found out i was pregnant and had all the regular preggo issues, fainting, stuff like that, my neice said i was getting Hulked by Jack Jack from the inside so my hands have been hurting like SHHIIIITTT since June. i mean SERIOUSLY. when i rotate my thumb i can feel the two bones on the side of my wrists popping out of place. i have been wearing wrist braces since then, on one hand and now since last week the other hand has started hurting. so i went to the doctor and he told me that i have this:


de Quervains tendonitis:


In addition to feelings of love and joy, some parents and caregivers experience severe pain in their wrists after welcoming home a new baby. Inflammation and pain caused by tendonitis could be to blame. Also known as mother’s thumb, de Quervain’s tendonitis affects the thumb tendon.
de Quervain’s tendonitis can affect anyone who performs a lot of handwork or repetitive hand movements. New mothers and grandmothers are particularly susceptible to pain at the base of the thumb because they’re more likely to repeatedly pick up their first child or grandchild. This explains how de Quervain’s tendonitis earned the nickname “mother’s thumb.”
Differences Between Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and de Quervain’s Tendonitis
Sometimes confused with carpal tunnel syndrome, de Quervain’s tendonitis is similar to other types of tendonitis caused by overuse. McEvoy explains the difference. “In carpal tunnel syndrome, pain is usually centered on the inside of your wrist where nerves and tendons pass through a narrow tunnel-like space,” McEvoy writes. “De Quervain’s tendonitis, however, involves just the thumb tendon, which runs through a canal at the base of the thumb at the back of the hand.”
Signs of de Quervain’s Tendonitis
McEvoy urges patients to look for these signs of mother’s thumb:
Pain and/or swelling on the wrist’s thumb side at the back of the wrist
Increased pain while forming a fist, grasping or holding objects, or turning the wrist
A snapping or catching feeling when moving the thumb, much like a trigger finger.


turns out lucky me, i have to get outpatient surgery so the dang doctor can fix the damn tendon and put it back in place. so its just great that not only did my son kick my ass while he was iN me but now since he is a supersized bundle of giggles, he kicks me ass outside too. i still love him to teeny tiny bits and pieces though! :)
How can u not love this face?

1 comment:

  1. I'm replying to your comment on YOUR blog just in case you don't come back to MY blog to read my response.

    Woman, you won't miss me for too long! Plus, we're moving to the East Coast, which I'm pretty sure is closer to Missouri than the West Coast! I'm not sure exactly where Missouri is actually... because I am an ignorant Canadian. But I'm guessing somewhere more east and more south than where I am now (which is the West Coast of Canada.)

    p.s. about your buggered up wrist - I've had pain in my knees since giving birth... turns out it's rheumatoid arthritis. DANG FETUSES!!

    LOL.

    ReplyDelete